- The initial site will be determined once the campus model is finalized
You may have noticed a significant change in our news update this week. Based on discussion with staff around campus, we have decided to change the name of our business case from "business centers" to "shared service centers."
You may be wondering why we have made this change at this stage of the implementation. As our committees have met to design "business centers" for KU, there has been universal agreement that, while financial saving are one reason for changing how many of our business processes are done, the end result must focus on providing increased levels of service to faculty, researchers and staff.
Our committees have converged on Shared Service Center (SSCs) as the title which most appropriately defines our end vision:
- Shared—each center will serve several units or departments, although each department or unit will have designated staff members
- Service—centers will be established to serve the customer, providing business support in service of the academic, research and service mission of the university
- Centers—these are physical locations where KU staff and faculty can turn for the business support they need
We have also made progress over the past two weeks toward the design of the model for shared services centers at KU:
- The Steering Committee is reviewing the initial proposed campus models, and is providing input into the suggested groupings
- The Communication and Change Management Leadership team met to discuss the best methods for reaching a broad segment of campus with information
- We have been talking with individuals working in current KU shared services centers, such as the model implemented by Student Services several years ago and the research model, HBC, to understand what works well in these entities as well at as what staff would change going forward.
Please visit our web page for information on timeline, committees, other shared services models, and to find out how to participate in the process.