KU’s Research Caliber: strengthen skills and retain top performers
- Held Thursday Research Topics (TRT) session on HIPAA and Research with the KU Privacy Office (15 attended).
- Hosted Huron webinar on the OMB uniform guidance circular’s new effort reporting requirements (10 attended).
- Offered position to candidate for Post Award Grants Specialist.
- Will offer training to LAS Research SSC and BSR SSC for Post Award training.
- Patty Shay is a new hire, she joined the Post-Award Services team in early March.
Pursue System Improvements: implement tools that increase faculty and administrative efficiency; collaborate with KUMC where feasible
- Final stage grant data review is being conducted by Post Award and Financial Services. Projected go live date for Research is May 5.
- Will explore combining the Consulting Request process (Provost’s office) with COI reporting (Research) in the Click environment. Faculty often confuse the two reporting schemes and when the reporting requirements overlap, they currently have to report twice. This should be more intuitive and informative for faculty and supervisors who approve both forms.
- In addition, the need for interface improvements to the Click system due to frequent end user errors has been raised with the vendor. We hope the (eventual) improvements will reduce investigator frustration with the system and IRB staff time to approve protocols. Similar efficiencies will be seen with the COI system.
- Final data updates and changes are taking place in preparation for the Accounts Receivable/Billing module to go live in May.
- Begin planning for PI Delegate process in ImageNow workflow and update and streamline policy for easier delegation of authority.
KUCR Efficiency: strengthen operations, processes, and overall effectiveness
- Financial Services and Post Award team members attended three day data analytics software training.
- Financial team members continue to work on surplus property workflow procedures to increase efficiencies.
- Team members continue working on key AR/BI Core business processes and to identify areas for improvement.
- Creating an Access database for tracking and notifying students on NSF-funded projects that per regulations they must complete an RCR tutorial. This has required manual cross-screening of data pulls from HR and KURES with a spreadsheet of who has completed the tutorial, each semester. We are looking into the possibility that the process could be triggered when a student is hired on NSF funding. This would be ideal, but the distributed HR processes make this difficult.
- Working on ImageNow SubRecipient Monitoring process in ImageNow for immediate implementation in preparation for 2014 audit.
- Working on Budget Summary ImageNow distribution to launch in April.
- Working to improve close out process with SSCs to streamline process.