KU Shared Service Center – Build the Foundation: evaluate job functions, redesign business processes, and create training materials
- The Implementation Team met with Kristi Billinger to discuss the job descriptions and activities for the SSC post-award research administration activities. As the team turns their attention to Wave 2 of the LAS-SSC, continued discussion with KUCR is necessary to finalize the post-award research administration processes and procedures.
- A team of staff from Central HR and the College Dean's office met with the Implementation Team to review the HR processes to be used in the SSC. Processes were finalized and will be shared with the staff and Chairs of the Wave 1 areas over the next few weeks.
- A team of staff from Payables Service, Internal Audit and the College Dean's office met with the Implementation Team to review the finance processes to be used in the SSC. Processes were finalized and will be shared with the staff and Chairs of the Wave 1 areas over the next few weeks.
- Because the proposed revisions to the GRA, GTA and GA process will not be complete prior to the go live of the first two waves of the SSC, a small team met to discuss any modifications to the current process which are required due to the shift in staff. A communication path was established between the SSC and the departments; this will be communicated to the Wave 1 departments over the coming weeks and shared via the SSC web site.
KU Regional Service Centers Implementation: streamline job functions and improve business processes
- Ruth Allenbrand has accepted the position of the first Finance Manager with the Liberal Arts & Sciences Shared Service Center. Ruth's 13 years of experience in the CLAS Budget Office, as well as her knowledge of the needs of the College departments made her stand out as the top candidate among a very strong pool of candidates. In this position she will continue to support and assist the staff serving the College in providing excellent customer service to those departments.
- The renovation of the LAS-SSC space (Strong 50) is nearing completion, with carpet installation completed on Friday. Computers and desks will be moved in early next week.
- The Associate Deans in the College continue to work with their departments to prepare staff who will transition into different departmental roles as work migrates to the SSC. This process will be a transition over the next several weeks, and the SSC Director and Implementation Team will work with the departments transitioning to make staff available to provide training and support during the shift.
- Members of the Implementation Team met with Associate Dean Bob Goldstein to begin to discuss the staffing for Wave 4 (the Natural Sciences and Mathematics) of the LAS-SSC.
- The CLAS Leadership Team met to review the potential staff for the units of the College included in Wave 2 of the LAS-SSC. Questions were generated which the team is following up on prior to finalizing staff selections.
- Jolene Fairchild and Karla Williams led an information session for the staff in the International and Interdisciplinary Programs; this also provided staff in these departments an opportunity to participate in a survey to provide information about future work preferences.
- The Implementation Team continues to review transactional and staffing data to finalize the number of staff to be shifted into the LAS-SSC. The current focus has shifted to wrapping up Wave 2 and beginning the Wave 3 and 4 areas: International and Interdisciplinary Programs and the Natural Sciences and Mathematics.
- The Research Leadership Team (for SSC staffing decisions related to the research centers) met to begin to review the staffing needs for the Hall Center and IPSR.
- The LAS-SSC website is complete and is currently being migrated to production by KU IT. We look forward to sharing this once it is live.