Consolidate FO and Housing Maintenance Staff: capitalize on economies of scale
- Finalized Service Level Agreement with exception of budget number for this year. Scheduled meeting with accounting and Student Housing reps to arrive at recommended budget number.
- Sent Zone Managers in Zones 2 and 6 to Big 12 housing conference with Student Housing representatives.
- Started distributing handheld devices to Zone 2 and providing training. We have ResNet access, but need to work out the details of running EZ Max Mobile on different network access.
Performance Management: implement cultural change to improve staff engagement
- Completed safety and operator training for forklift operations for FS and other interested partners over the past month, per OSHA requirements. Inspected all forklifts and corrected several discrepancies. All operators now certified, and must display certifications during operation of any forklift.
- Participating in Dept. 118 Performance Based Budgeting project for Public Administration class. Will survey partners and stakeholders in coming weeks. Internal supervisory team surveyed and data presented with Directors on 10/9.
- Distributed minutes from Employee Advisory Council meeting to all employees. Several initiatives suggested by employees and council have already been implemented or are planned for work on the schedule.
Zone Maintenance: develop system to reduce supervisory staff and improve efficiency
- Continued routine communication meetings with both Zone and Central shop leadership; always working to improve and standardize procedures across lines.
- Rolling out handheld devices and training one Zone and Central Shop at a time over several weeks. Zone 4 training completed this period. Initial feedback very positive.
- Wi-Fi projects on west campus (especially at storeroom and warehouse) will help maintain connections and ease of use. Projects funded and pre-construction meeting scheduled w/IT.
Energy Reduction and Sustainability: execute plan with incentives for participation
- Energy Manager working project for LED light replacement for Parking and Transit garages at Mississippi Street and Allen Field House.
- Pursuing additional capability for automatic metering interface with Energy Cap reporting software and investigating energy dashboard capabilities for buildings.
- Sent Natural Gas nomination and price locking strategy to procurement for remaining contract period through May 2014. Will need to work with Procurement to determine new contract mechanism toward end of this calendar year to ensure contract in place by May 2014.
- Drafting reminder on Energy Policy and set points for distribution during change-over of buildings from cooling to heating season.
- Infrastructure alternatives for Master Plan presentation completed along with other Master Plan meetings. General course of action is to move toward better reliability of systems through multi-building loop systems where optimal.
- ESG Consulting (E&I Affiliate) completed initial interview process with FS representatives last week to evaluate sourcing, procurement, inventory and warehousing processes and provide road map for improvements. Sending additional info and asking about schedule and deliverables.
- Met with E&I representatives to discuss strategic sourcing and use of cooperative contracts; specifically addressed concerns with Grainger contract.
- Meeting with Security policy group to report on subcommittee work on key and electronic lock systems policy and procedures update. Preliminary drafts of documents reflect KU vision of progressing to swipe card systems for exterior building exits and access control, and greater programmatic role for PSO in approving building access.