Consolidate FO and Housing Maintenance Staff: capitalize on economies of scale
- Agreed on annual assessment number for 2014 Service Level Agreement with Student Housing; will update SLA and route for signature.
- Planning winter break work in the two housing Zones
Performance Management: implement cultural change to improve staff engagement
- Rolling out handheld devices and training one Zone and Central Shop at a time over several weeks. Half of Zone 2 training completed this week. Initial feedback very positive and about 2/3 of FS maintenance staff now trained on handhelds.
- Work underway for Wi-Fi projects starting on west campus late this week with scheduled completion by Thanksgiving to improve coverage for handheld devices
- Participating in Dept. 118 Performance Based Budgeting project for Public Administration class. Provided feedback on survey questions deploying surveys now
Zone Maintenance: develop system to reduce supervisory staff and improve efficiency
- Scheduled safety training for 3rd shift custodial crews – only remaining group needing to receive training. Conducting 3-4 late night sessions for 3rd shift personnel.
- Implemented improved procedures for Lock Out and Tag Out program for shops and zones working on hazardous equipment.
- Scheduled Arc Flash and electric code required safety training for early December timeframe.
Energy Reduction and Sustainability: execute plan with incentives for participation
- Working on automating electrical meter reading to improve accuracy and reduce manual reading of meters. Requires server upgrade work and coordination with IT.
- Working with contractor to replace non-functioning steam meter in M2SEC building.
- Attended Energy Savings Performance Contract negotiation meeting with CFO and General Counsel to address issues and advise CFO on potential settlement.
- Energy efficient LED lighting project at Mississippi and AFH parking garages on track for expedited completion for energy savings tax credit. Fixtures ordered and PO entered for contractor installation beginning in early December
- Competed Natural Gas supply pricing among two vendors for contract period through May 2014. Atmos Energy is new provider as of 1 December (replacing Constellation). Will work with Procurement on new contract mechanism toward end of this calendar year to ensure contract in place by May 2014.
- ESG Consulting (E&I Affiliate) scheduled follow-up visit week of 11/18 to analyze top spending categories in FS and make recommendations to improve sourcing, procurement, inventory management and warehousing processes and provide road map for improvements
- Hal Kopsa will retire from storeroom Dec 6th, after many years of service to KU.
- Received proposals from Enterprise to transition motor pool to Enterprise contract operation; evaluating proposals and deciding which service option best fits KU needs.