Consolidate FO and Housing Maintenance Staff: capitalize on economies of scale
- Reviewing design docs for new Daisy hill construction project.
- Campus safety and security team met to review recommendations to present to leadership on electronic lock systems and overall security and access program administration for KU.
- SLA 2nd quarter financial results indicate FS is tracking just slightly over last year’s costs, but Student Housing prefers to include all types of work under the SLA rather than have improvements, and upgrades billed separately. Working with Housing to establish dollar value limit where consultation is required on work to decide if separately billed.
- Met with Director of Admin/Ops Shared Service Center on implementation plan. Provided suggestions for meeting FS business needs for large department and workforce; viewed SSC work spaces; and working to clean and spruce up space as best we can.
Performance Management: implement cultural change to improve staff engagement
- Met with Huron representatives on status of Maximo issues across the board, as well as general progress of FS post merge. Identified many things going well and continuing to improve as well as a few areas of slower progress.
- Meetings held with CFI consultants for Maximo issues. Investigated business processes to define a scope of work and pricing for contract to guide KU in configuration and use of Maximo long term. Waiting on CFI report to define scope for Maximo work.
- Continued with customer service training and second round of safety training for FS workforce.
- Ms. Laura Sellers awarded KU Employee of the Month for February 2014. Congratulations Laura!
- Posted vacancy for Electrical Shop supervisor position. Key position relied upon by both FS and DCM for input on medium voltage electrical distribution system. Mr. Bob Baldwin will be interim shop supervisor during hiring process.
Zone Maintenance: develop system to reduce supervisory staff and improve efficiency
- Met with Operations business reps to refine “efficiency” measure for FS shops and Zones: spreadsheet measures amount of time allocated in Maximo compared to total time worked.
- Met with Grainger reps and procurement to plan out transition to E&I contract to ensure consistent pricing for FS.
- Working with Grainger to explore opportunities for satellite parts storage and dispensing, as well as labor support from Grainger.
Energy Reduction and Sustainability: execute plan with incentives for participation
- Energy Manager finalized application for solar power grant from Westar after incorporating all review comments. Application was submitted by deadline of March 1st.
- Provided info in interview for UDK article on heating and cooling of buildings and energy usage and controls systems; explaining why some older buildings are more difficult to control temps consistently
- Met with Midwestern Higher Education Compact reps to explore opportunities for better procurement of facilities and/or energy services.
- Calibrated boiler burners and internal metering to compare natural gas consumption with Black Hills metering and billing.
- Actively working on entering assets in Maximo in the following categories currently: Steam traps, fire extinguishers, and air handling units. Air handling units are numerous and asset documentation is all hard copy, so entry will be data entry/labor intensive.
- Assets already entered in Maximo include: Air Compressors, HVAC Chillers, HVAC Cooling Towers, Boilers, Fire Extinguishers, Fire Sprinkler Systems, Fire Alarm Systems, Emergency Generators, Backflow Preventers, and Condensate Pumps.
- Asset tags have only been deployed for a small number of the above assets as they are a lower priority need at this time.
- We will continue to focus on asset entry along with the next critical priority of Preventive Maintenance (PM) plans for each asset class and automating generation of PM work orders using Maximo. Air compressors in Zones 2 & 6 currently have an automated PM work order generated weekly, as an example.