Consolidate FO and Housing Maintenance Staff: capitalize on economies of scale
- Continued bi-weekly meetings with housing to ensure good communication and service provision per the SLA.
- Provided list of personnel needing ResNet access for use of handheld mobile devices and EZ Max Mobile. Need to get WIFI access in housing zones.
- Met with Public Administration grad student to initiate some analysis of SLA as a contract. Also working to better define costs that were attributed to SLA and identify positions appropriately funded through SLA.
- Summer special projects, maintenance and repairs continue in targeted buildings along with summer camps and normal cleaning, maintenance and repair functions.
- Augmented with student labor pools for painting and custodial crews, and shifted small number of custodians from night shift in academic zones to day shift in housing zones.
Performance Management: implement cultural change to improve staff engagement
- Published quarterly newsletter, FS Foghorn with newsworthy updates and information for staff, and emphasis on FS employees.
- Held phone conference discussions with Huron reps to plan for annual climate survey in FS. Climate survey will be deployed in early July, and remain open for several weeks. FS will have dedicated time at work allotted in computer labs to facilitate a high rate of survey completion.
- Coordinating new employee orientation and required safety training program for all FS employees with new FS Safety Manager and benchmarking with EHS.
- All FS maintenance employees scheduled to complete initial training by end of July. HR now scheduling new employees for 1st day safety training.
- Diverse group working on Lock-out, Tag-out program for safety to ensure dangerous equipment cannot be energized while people are working on the equipment.
- Scheduled Forklift operations and safety training for FS and other stakeholders on campus.
- Safety Manager attended meeting at LMH for local safety committee being formed by several interested parties in Lawrence.
Zone Maintenance: develop system to reduce supervisory staff and improve efficiency
- Held weekly meeting with Zone Managers/Supervisors and Central Shop Supervisors to improve communications and workflow between Zones and Central Shops.
- Provided input to annual budget cycle regarding positions and OOE funding; working to identify funding for several shortfall positions critical to the success of CFE organization.
- Met with HR to review results of Job Analysis Questionnaire and standard job titles for FS organization. Results very much in line with status quo of existing titles and descriptions with no substantive recommendations provided by consultant.
- Interviewing candidates for critical positions of HVAC central shop supervisor
Energy Reduction and Sustainability: execute plan with incentives for participation
- Successfully hired Campus Energy Manager; Mr. George Werth will start on July 8, 2013
- Met with Natural Gas supply company to review strategies for procurement of NG by either locking in fixed pricing for periods of time, or riding the market index for cost. Will work strategy and decision with business office and Energy Manager.
- Met with Director of Sustainability on preliminary discussion for spring energy partnership conference for KS Regents schools; possible combination with student energy club meeting.
- Dedicated KUPPS training for FS personnel only scheduled for July 1 & 2 for initial “hands-on the computer” training sessions.
- Held conference call with E&I Consortium consulting group to consider proposal for evaluation and improvement of procurement and inventory practices.
- Met with Accounting and Procurement reps to solidify KUPPS transition plan for FS. Accounting rep will attend training to answer Maximo type questions. Concern is “duplicate entry” extra workload and must be evaluated. Will have several week soft transition and eventual hard deadline for FS personnel required to use KUPPS. Accounting and procurement reps will be available to help FS personnel with specific transactions during transition period. Will re-visit with leadership if duplicate entry too resource intensive for FS personnel.