KU’s Research Caliber: strengthen skills and retain top performers
- A review of the structures in Post-Award Services and the Award Processing Team is being conducted in an attempt to streamline workflow. It is likely that some duties will be reassigned.
- Post Award currently has positions open for 3 staff members. Interviews have been conducted.
- PAS staff and Award Intake staff are investigating a training program for employees who are new to KU Research.
Pursue System Improvements: implement tools that increase faculty and administrative efficiency; collaborate with KUMC where feasible
- The Peoplesoft AR-Billing project for grant sponsors continues. KUCR is working closely with the Comptroller’s office including committing a resource (Bill Saltmarsh) up to .75FTE to work in Carruth O’Leary.
- Richard Walker (RIS) has been working with KUIC to fully implement the Activity Tracking module in Wellspring Sophia so that licensing associates can accurately track their time. Implementation is complete.
- Click systems (ecompliance) –
- Virtual root upgrade is nearly complete, meaning URLs and links all point to the more accurate ecompliance.ku.edu rather than kucoi.ku.edu (the system houses both COI and IRB components). Oversight of this change provided by Elise Waldron and Central IT.
- KUMC is instituting updates in its HR system which will provide more complete information for COI disclosers, including email addresses that were previously absent.
- Richard Walker is overseeing a project whereby dates for completed IRB training in CITI will be integrated into the Click system. This will include a single sign on functionality into CITI using InCommon.
- Key research administration staff and financial staff members attended Kuali Coeus Days in November 2013. The goal was to access the system as it applies to research administration and financials. In early February, Huron will provide an overview of the system to a broader audience at KU.
- Award Intake staff members are working on using ImageNow for distribution of Budget Summaries to PIs and related staff. Other business processes are under review for streamlining in this same manner.
KUCR Efficiency: strengthen operations, processes, and overall effectiveness
- KU Research’s Award Processing Services group is restructuring from two full-time staff members, to one full-time staff member and two half-time staff members. The full-time staff member will assume a new leadership role to provide better workflow management, quality control, training, and procedural consistency.
- Richard Walker (Wellspring Sophia Administrator) and Mary Ann Roesner (Web Manager) have specked a process for pulling tech summaries from Sophia and placing them on the KUIC website. The updated process relieves the burden of KUIC staff from making updates in multiple places and negates the need for a vendor provided solution. Projected deployment is February.
- Journal processing for Post Award has been greatly improved by staff ability to upload the journals to the PS system.
- Continued training for journal posting by Post Award Services will include staff from Huron Consulting.