KU’s Research Caliber: strengthen skills and retain top performers
- KUCR held the monthly Thursday Research Topics (TRT) session on the NIH Public Access Policy (22 attendees).
- To improve the timeliness of billing, KUCR will be conducting a search for an additional staff member to add to the billing team.
- One staff member attended regional CACUBO conference in Kansas City.
- Two staff members will be attending regional NCURA conference in Indianapolis this month. One of those staff members is presenting at the conference.
- The third new staff member in Post-award administration begins work in PAS on April 7.
- Completed training for the SSC Research units utilizing Team Leads and other staff in PAS.
- PAS Staff member integral to 3G Pilot training for SSC Research units.
Pursue System Improvements: implement tools that increase faculty and administrative efficiency; collaborate with KUMC where feasible
- Some compliance certifications will be linked in with the Image Now bud sum process (see below).
- KUL and KUMC compliance staff in human subjects and conflict of interest will attend the Click user group meeting in Chicago in May.
- Regarding eCompliance COI, both campuses are working on system enhancement requests that reduce end-user error, facilitate disclosure review, and enable better tracking of university responses to disclosures.
- Both campuses met to discuss reporting needs from eCompliance IRB and COI systems. Click has a new data extraction tool that we are looking to leverage for enhanced compliance and enterprise reporting.
- Web: A new portal site for Research Centers is in development, with anticipated go-live of fall 2014. Prototype design of the site is completed.
- The effort reporting process continues to be updated and improved. We are transitioning report running capabilities directly to Post Award, and leveraging Image Now for better tracking of returned reports. The use of Image Now at this point in time will allow us to make a smoother transition to electronic workflow once policy around digital signatures is finalized.
- AR BI conversion work continues. Mock cutover data is being reviewed for accuracy and completeness. The project is in its final stages with schedules and tasks pointing to a May go-live date. This will be a substantial improvement in billing processes.
- Initiated Budget Summary process in Image Now.
- Continue to review Close Letter process for utilization across all teams/units.
- Continue to prepare and clean up data for AR/BI conversion.
KUCR Efficiency: strengthen operations, processes, and overall effectiveness
- A post approval monitoring program (PAM) has been established for animal use statements. A PAM is an important demonstration of the diligence of IACUC oversight of animal activities and provides PIs and lab staff feedback and opportunities for corrections and improvements to animal use.
- RI is working with award set up, Pre-award, HBC research administrators, and Post-award to streamline and improve the linkage of one or more animal use statements to a sponsored project. The linkage will be made at the Just in Time stage for NIH proposals. A similar system will be devised for human subjects protocols. Image Now will be used to document the link.
- Collaborating with Center for Sustainability and the Comptroller’s Office on improved surplus property procedures.
- Communication meeting was held with research stakeholders to share new April business process deadlines.
- Hosted Accounts Receivable/Billing briefing (24 attendees).
- Meet with RI for proper documentation of IACUC approvals before releasing funds.