KU Shared Service Center – Build the Foundation: evaluate job functions, redesign business processes, and create training materials
- The Communication Ambassadors met on March 27th for an update on the LAS Wave 1 transition and discussion of progress to date. The presentation can be found here.
- The Design Review Committee met to discuss the implications of moving staff funded on restricted sources to the SSC. The Committee has asked for detailed analysis of the current state to ensure that the ramifications of the course of action are duly considered.
- The implementation team continues to examine the Wave 1 transition; identifying lessons learned which can be applied to future SSC implementations. Key lessons include:
- Initial training will be spread over a longer timeframe providing staff with more time to focus on transitioning support for their new departments.
- Planning for the reorganization of staff within the departments will begin in advance to allow for a successful transition of departmental activities before the SSC goes live.
KU Regional Service Centers Implementation: streamline job functions and improve business processes
- Three manager positions were posted for the LAS-SSC (HR Manager, Research Manager, and Finance Manager). Once these positions are filled, the only remaining LAS-SSC manager position will be a third Finance Manager. All interested staff are encouraged to apply. More information is found here.
- The LAS-SSC staff continue to settle into their new roles and are embracing the opportunity to deepen their knowledge of the new departments that they are serving.
- The SSC staff have completed their initial training and are fully shifting their focus to the task of serving their units. Ongoing training and education will continue throughout the year.
- The amount of time that some SSC staff are spending in their former departments to train the new staff taking over their administrative responsibilities is wrapping up.
- SSC staff members and the LAS Finance Manager, Ruth Allenbrand, are completing their initial meetings with wave 1 Chairs and Directors to discuss unit needs and set the foundation for collaboration moving forward.
- At the end of next week, the SSC expects to have the work fully transitioned from all units and will assess the revision of system access for department staff. We will be changing the system access for department staff to reflect their needs in the system based on revised job duties.
- Associate Dean Jim Mielke met with the Wave 2 Chairs that will contribute staff to the SSC.
- The College Leadership Team completed individual meetings with Chairs/Directors and met to discuss the staffing for waves 3 and 4. Based on the items that have surfaced, the committee is going to conduct additional meetings with department staff, chairs and directors to ensure all facets of the department are considered for these critical decisions.